Re: I-D Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail

2002-06-05 23:01:32

Keith Moore wrote:

draft-moore-auto-email-response-00.txt

First blush is that this is a *lot* broader in scope than what we have
been discussing. That's fine, but it's an important distinction. Nowhere
did your outline mention anything about mailing list subscription messages
or file robots, for example, and we didn't talk about those. The necessary
behaviors for those are a *lot* different than auto-responses from
vacation and virus programs.

The result is that a lot of the stuff that's defined doesn't really apply
to some of the message types. I see no need to define how mailing list
managers should format subscription confirmation messages, for example.
What kind of interoperability challenges are being encountered from
subscription confirmation messages?

Another example:

 | Response messages SHOULD NOT include significant content from the
 | subject message.

Automatic transfers of group edits on a shared document depend on
"significant content" from the original message.

And so forth. I guess I am saying that I would be more comfortable if this
were scaled down to "human responder agents." We could probably be more
syntactically precise with a tighter scope. It's fine to go broader but
there will probably need to be a lot less rules (and even suggestions).

Either way is fine with me.