Re: I-D Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail

2002-06-06 12:38:37

one reason I didn't just insist that MAIL FROM be <>  is that too
many mailers categorically reject MAIL FROM:<>.  yes, they're broken,
but there's so much of this kind of brokenness in the world that a
feature that depends on it not being broken is doomed to failure...

Is that really the case today? A year ago I still used to run into a
lot of this, but it really seems to have dried up since then.  I
suspect what happened is the clueless people who implemented the
broken policies ended up self-selecting themselves out of business.

I cannot agree with relaxing the <> requirement. Doing so directly
sanctions the sort of behaviour that has created the need for this
document to begin with.

--lyndon