Re: I-D Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail

2002-06-07 08:04:19

   Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:17:13 -0500
   From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com>

   Lawrence Greenfield wrote:

   > Some people actually want to know if their auto-response message got
   > bounced.  (I'm not sure what they do with that information, but I've
   > heard the request.)

   They add them to blacklists: http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-dsn.html

No, this isn't it at all.  There are cases when legitimate addresses
will bounce auto-responses.  One obvious one is when the user is over
quota.  (I think this is the case that our help center is most
interested in---but in general, they want to know if their auto-reply
wasn't received by the user if possible.)

Larry