Re: I-D Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail

2002-06-06 12:47:53

one reason I didn't just insist that MAIL FROM be <>  is that too
many mailers categorically reject MAIL FROM:<>.  yes, they're broken,
but there's so much of this kind of brokenness in the world that a
feature that depends on it not being broken is doomed to failure...

Is that really the case today?

as far as I can tell, it's getting worse.  I see this literally every
day.  (well, every day that I read postmaster mail, which is most days)

I cannot agree with relaxing the <> requirement.

well, I can't agree with insisting on it.

Doing so directly
sanctions the sort of behaviour that has created the need for this
document to begin with.

that's a silly statement.  it's one thing to insist that mail responders
minimize potential harm, quite another to insist that they use one
particular mechanism which is known to not work adequately in practice.

Keith