Re: I-D Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail

2002-06-07 08:58:20

Keith Moore wrote:

draft-moore-auto-email-response-00.txt

I've been thinking about the taxonomy. I'm wondering if it would be more
useful to describe automated messages in terms of:

  notifications -- informs of issues related to transfer, delivery and
     processing, such as hotword rejections, virus alerts, vacation,
     and so forth

  confirmations -- informs of intermediate success and requests
     additional information, such as file-robot and mailing list
     confirmation messages

  thank-you -- informs of successful processing, requires no additional
     input or processing

we can describe the various return addressing rules, structure and so
forth in the context of the type. "thank-you messages and their replies
can be freely discarded" for example.