RE: Problem with MIME and line length in Subject headers

2002-11-14 14:18:49

On 11/14/02 at 12:54 PM -0800, Dan Kohn wrote:

and suggest that a new paragraph should be added to the end of RFC 2822, Section 2.2.3:

Mail User Agents SHOULD unfold headers that are displayed to the end-user (such as Subject, To, and Cc), since line breaks in headers do not have semantic content (unlike in message bodies, where they often denote paragraph or list breaks).

I cannot express how strongly I feel that this does not belong in RFC 2822. I would *consider* putting in a "Note:" which says that often it is nice for user agents to unfold Subjects for presentation to the user, but there is no way that this comes remotely close to an RFC 2119 "SHOULD". It is certainly not normative.

If someone wants to write an informational RFC on "What MUAs ought to do", more power to you. But nothing like this belongs in 2822.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102