Re: Why do MIME imlementations sometimes fail

2003-09-28 07:18:11
On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 01:24 AM, ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

But is this a peculiarly American problem? I'm sorry, but I don't think so. In
fact, in my experience the bias towards localization (or if you prefer,
unilingualism) committed by Americans is no worse than what's been done
elsewhere.

You're certainly right here -- most software developers are monolingual whether or not they're Americans. It's just that most of them are Americans, hence my hasty overgeneralization.

Humph. I don't know if it counts, but the software I work on personally is
internationalized, not localized.

Well, I fully believe that this is the intention, and not being familiar with that software I of course can't say that it doesn't do it well. I'm just saying that I haven't yet personally seen any software that I thought did it well -- and I work nowadays for a company that puts a lot of time into trying to do so. Maybe I'm too picky, but I think there are precious few user interfaces that do a good job of making it easy to write in *one* language, and I have yet to see one that I would endorse as doing a good job of more than one.

Again, this is completely a question of me being critical of the user interface, and I think the role of standards here is minor at best. -- Nathaniel