Re: Why do MIME imlementations sometimes fail

2003-09-29 06:50:35

At 23:27 -0400 03-09-27, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
I seriously doubt that this is a standards issue, though -- I think it's a combination of a cultural issue (Americans are mostly monolingual) and a simple technical issue: it's really *hard* to build a good monolingual user interface, and anyone who wants to do so is unlikely to find MIME encoding to be one of his greatest challenges. In many cases, I think what's failing is not so much the standards as the user interface. -- Nathaniel

We have developed a non-standard messaging system which
supports multi-linguality and translation, including both
human and machine translation. One issue we have not fully
solved is how to combine knowledge about the readers
capability of reading different languages with the
availability of different quality translations, such as
original in German, machine translation to English, which
language version should be shown to a user who has English
as native language but can read some German!

In our system, multilinguality is defined at a rather low
level, so that every object can be specified in more than
one language.

We have however not handled the problem of different
languages in different parts of the same message.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/