Re: Re: Getting 2822 to Draft

2004-01-03 10:05:46

Folks

 2822 allows X-* fields and always has. Any future document will
 allow them. What 2822 doesn't do is give special meaning to them
 other than as optional-fields. -- Pete Resnick
 <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
 QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-
 1102

1. If X- fields are the only technical aspect of 2822 that folks have
any comments about, then the doc is clearly is really excellent shape.

2. In spite of originally thinking that X- fields were a really
excellent idea, I am now a vigorous opponent to the use of X- fields.
However I think that any significant effort to focus on their use is a
waste of time, at best, and more likely will just confuse things.  The
labels exist.  They are part of the usage model.  The damage they cause
might be real but it would be difficult to say that it has really caused
major damage to the Internet.  Adding a discussion paragraph to 2822 is
as much as might be useful.

d/
--
Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://brandenburg.com>