Re: The job of an MSA

2004-08-16 13:47:06

Dave Crocker wrote:

From the mail-arch writing effort, I am not so clear about the boundary
between MUA and MSA in the community's mind. I'd like to change that.
In general, my sense is that the MSA is entitled to perform quite a bit
of MUA funtionality, in order to off-load the MUA, both computationally
and in terms of network traffic.
If this is a correct assessment, then messing with headers is
acceptable.

There are headers and then there are headers. :-)

The current SUBMIT protocol clearly identifies which headers it is allowed to mess around with. The To/Cc/Bcc headers are not in that list.

But, I do agree with your sentiment -- SUBMIT was clearly intended to and designed to off-load the MUA from certain tasks. So I could see there being an extension to the SUBMIT protocol that allowed it to look at the To/Cc/Bcc headers and acted accordingly. But it would have to be an extension.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com