Re: The job of an MSA

2004-08-16 13:55:26

Tony,

TH> The current SUBMIT protocol clearly identifies which headers it is
TH> allowed to mess around with. The To/Cc/Bcc headers are not in that list.

TH> But, I do agree with your sentiment -- SUBMIT was clearly intended to
TH> and designed to off-load the MUA from certain tasks. So I could see

 The point raised by Ned(?) -- that an MUA function that is off-loaded to
 a server does not make it an MSA function -- is well-taken.

 I'm trying to assess people's views on the PRECISE dividing line
 between MUA and MSA, rather than trying to espouse a particular view.

 I'm fine with the idea of a "split" MUA (and that's a term from the
 mid-70's), though it does beg the question of the protocol used between
 the local and remote MUA portions.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>