Re: The Bcc Issue

2004-08-17 21:11:28

nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com (Nathaniel Borenstein)  wrote on 16.08.04 in
<1E6D888B-EF99-11D8-9641-000A9571873E(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com>:

Everyone seems to have simple rules, and yet I will freely confess that
I do not have any coherent model at this point for how bcc is supposed
to work.  The more I hear the more confused I get.

On the other hand, I see an overwhelming majority arguing for the exact
same model - occasionally offering that some particular extension might
make sense, but not actually arguing it should be done.

I think that someone who thinks they have a coherent mental model for
all of this should try to write it down.  -- Nathaniel

It's *only* the MUA's job to make sure everyone gets the right Bcc; header
or absence of same. One particular way to implement it is via
/usr/{sbin,lib}/sendmail -t, or any other kind of contract with a
different piece of software that is then considered part of the MUA
implementation. The safest way is not handing that responsibility off, but
sending separate copies whenever differences in Bcc: are wanted.

Nobody else ought to touch it.

MfG Kai