Re: The job of an MSA

2004-08-16 12:04:35

Dave Crocker wrote:

In general, my sense is that the MSA is entitled to perform quite a bit
of MUA funtionality, in order to off-load the MUA, both computationally
and in terms of network traffic.

If this is a correct assessment, then messing with headers is
acceptable.

I would very much appreciate getting some dialogue about this on the
list.

This message serves a couple of purposes. When composed (within Mozilla
1.7), it included a Bcc field. Mozilla is configured to send to sendmail
listening on the submission port [the sendmail process happens to be
running on the same host as Mozilla in this instance]. Mozilla is also
configured to save a copy of sent messages in Mozilla format in a local
"folder".  The Bcc copy should be sent by sendmail to a Cyrus IMAP
server (also running on the same host, as it happens) via LMTP. The
list should receive a copy w/o the Bcc field.  Mozilla has little in
the way of configuration options for sending -- I'm not sure if it
checks Bccs and sends multiple messages via port 587, or if it relies
on the submission server to do that processing; but I intend to run
a traffic sniffer to find out, and I'll report anything significant
in a subsequent message.