Re: The Bcc Issue

2004-08-16 06:29:59

On Aug 16, 2004, at 7:55 AM, Keith Moore wrote:

we can do a bit better than that - we can also state that we design and test things to interoperate when they comply with the standards, and not (in general) under other conditions. if someone writes or configures a protocol engine to deviate from the standards, he does so at the risk of degrading interoperability, and impairing the network for his own users and possibly for others. very few users have the background and analysis skills to understand the implications of deviating from the standards.

And when the standards are as clear as muck, don't we have an obligation then?

I can't count the number of communications snafus I've seen that I would attribute to the bcc feature. At the very least, we should provide a clear model for implementors to follow and convey to users. We certainly haven't done that yet, and I'm not sure how we can at this point. -- Nathaniel