Re: The Bcc Issue

2004-08-13 19:03:59

Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:

I stand corrected:  Three different functions.  The line

    BCC: nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com

might better be represented as

    I-Sent-a-BCC-To: nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com (for my files)
    BCC-Should-Be-Sent-To:  nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com
        (written by a UA as a request to an MTA)
Why-You-Got-This: You were BCC'ed as nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com (for viewing by the bcc recipient)

Nit here on your second item: An MTA never looks at the header of a message! The MTA is expected to look at an envelope, not the header. If you're passing a message to something that IS expected to look at the To/Cc/Bcc headers and act on them, that thing is NOT an MTA.

Even MSA's are not expected to look at the To/Cc/Bcc headers.

Now, if you want to argue that some software DOES look at those headers to determine the addresses to send a message to, that's fine. Those software packages are working as part of the MUA system, and it's a private contract between those software packages to do so.

But an MTA should NOT be looking at the To/Cc/Bcc headers.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com