Re: Diabling Replies

2004-08-16 14:25:47

Tony,

TH> He's suggesting a form of To/Cc that other people cannot accidentally
TH> reply to.

That's what I meant to describe.  The headers sent by the early MH for a
bcc were:

Date: xxx
[To]: yyy
[cc]: zzz
Subject: aaa
From: bbb

So a regular reply command would not see the primary or secondary
address lists.

TH> These people will receive a copy of your message, but will not
TH> see replies. He doesn't mind that the To/Cc people know that these other
TH> people have received a copy, so Bcc isn't really quite what he wants.

I had missed that.  So he wants these "tertiary" recipients to be listed
explicitly, but to get copies that cannot be automatically replied to.
In other words, they are outside the fishbowl of the conversation.  They
get to listen but not participate.

Certainly that is a reasonable mode of 'participation'.  At the least, it would
take
a new address field for the special class of recipients.

We probably don't need to disable the to/cc fields, for them, because
the semantics of the new, third field would be "do not allow a Reply
command to to/cc".  Of course, any MUA could choose to violate that
standard...

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>