Re: The Bcc Issue

2004-08-13 09:47:44

Hi,

there's an RFC covering smarthosts now, 2476. It hasn't been very widely deployed, but IMO no good MUA can be blatantly incompatible with it.

RFC 2476 doesn't suggest that the message submission servers hould remove bcc.

For this reason, I think that a MUA which wants bcc removed cannot trust the smarthost to do so. It must do the job itself.

Philip Hazel writes:
4. Among the MUAs, I think that Pine never sends Bcc: lines, but Mutt by
   default does, assuming that the MTA will deal with them (Mutt does
   not use the -t option).

IMNSHO, mutt is in the wrong.

Whether exim is right is a different question. I guess that boils down to whether you prefer to Do Things Right or add workarounds for brokenware.

Arnt