Re: Mandatory From field, anonymity, and hacks

2004-08-13 08:52:30

On Aug 13, 2004, at 11:21 AM, Keith Moore wrote:

sometimes I think we need a separate label for documents -
"least harmful current practice".  but we don't have one yet.

We have the label, and it's "best current practice" -- you just have
to resign yourself to the fact that sometimes the best you can do is
to minimize the harm people do.

the problem with BCP is that it's a recommendation.  essentially BCP is
a standard for something for which interoperability tests aren't
suitable.

there's a useful distinction between "here's what we recommend and
believe will work well" and "we don't recommend this, but if you're
going to do this, please do it this way".  (or maybe even "we don't
recommend this, but if you're going to do this, at least don't do it any
of these ways...")