Re: Mandatory From field, anonymity, and hacks

2004-08-13 08:21:01

In <053A4319-EC5E-11D8-B09E-000393DB5366(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> Keith
Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

Both these practices are already widespread, and they are not going to
stop just because we say so.

that's not a good reason for standardizing them.  and they don't meet
the criteria in 2026.

But I don't want to standardize them. All I want to say is that "if" you
want to use a bogus address "for whatever reason", then please at least do
it in such and such a way.

You can still say that, even if you deprecate the use of bogus addresses
at the same time. Because users are going to do it whether you deprecate
it or not (there is no way to stop them). King Canute has already been
mentioned in this thread.

sometimes I think we need a separate label for documents -
"least harmful current practice".  but we don't have one yet.