Re: The Bcc Issue

2004-08-18 06:40:22

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Jacob Palme wrote:

I do not understand this "-t" option. "-t" looks to me like
a Unix shell command parameter. I thought that MUAs
communicated with MTAs for outgoing mail using the SMTP
protocol or a variant of SMTP adapted for communication
between an MUA or the first MTA, and not by using a
unix shell interface.

Not true. Some use SMTP, others call the MTA directly by running the command /usr/[s]bin/sendmail in a shell interface. (That was, I believe, the original method, before we had MUAs that ran on PCs.)

Is "-t" an ESTMP facility? How, otherwise, can the MUA tell
the MTA that it wants the MTA to remove Bcc headers from
non-Bcc recipients?

Using SMTP (or the SUBMIT variant), it can't. That's the whole point.

Regards,
Philip

ph10(_at_)cus(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44
1223 334714.