Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-moore-mail-nr-fields-00.txt]

2004-08-27 02:53:11

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

If nobody can find client behaviors that MFT/MRT can achieve, that NR
together with (a) cannot, especially wrt news (MFT/MRT is used in news
too, IIRC), I'd like to see NR move forward.

there are client behaviors that MFT/MRT can produce that NR cannot
produce.  in particular, NR has no way to specify situations where
"reply to all" is not sent to a superset of the recipients who would be
sent if "reply to author" were used instead.

as far as I can tell, this is a plus for NR.

Yes.  I should have added a "useful" before "client behaviors".  Since
it is possible to generate some things with MFT/MRT that NR can't do,
it isn't obvious that all of those MFT/MRT things are useless,
although it appears so.  That need to be verified through more review.

But I didn't realize receivers needed user interface changes, that
seem like a disadvantage.  Then perhaps the cost benefit of NR over
MFT/MRT is more questionable.  And having two deployed solutions for a
similar thing will be somewhat confusing, although I don't see any
conflicts in supporting both ideas in the same agent.  OTOH, if
receivers aren't changed, those additional copies will look as BCC's,
which the user should be aware of anyway.

Still, I'd like to see _some_ solution to this problem move forward.

Thanks,
Simon