Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-moore-mail-nr-fields-00.txt]

2004-08-27 06:05:59

Simon Josefsson wrote:
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

If nobody can find client behaviors that MFT/MRT can achieve, that NR
together with (a) cannot, especially wrt news (MFT/MRT is used in news
too, IIRC), I'd like to see NR move forward.

there are client behaviors that MFT/MRT can produce that NR cannot produce. in particular, NR has no way to specify situations where "reply to all" is not sent to a superset of the recipients who would be sent if "reply to author" were used instead.

as far as I can tell, this is a plus for NR.

Yes.  I should have added a "useful" before "client behaviors".  Since
it is possible to generate some things with MFT/MRT that NR can't do,
it isn't obvious that all of those MFT/MRT things are useless,
although it appears so.  That need to be verified through more review.

I did a case analysis of NR vs. MFT.  The cases looked like this:

class   field   reply to author         reply to all    superset
F1      From    n                       n               y
F2      From    n                       y               y
F3      From    y                       n               n
F4      From    y                       y               y
T1      To      n                       n               y
T2      To      n                       y               y
T3      To      y                       n               n
T4      To      y                       y               y
C1      Cc      n                       n               y
C2      Cc      n                       y               y
C3      Cc      y                       n               n
C4      Cc      y                       y               y

R2      -       n                       y               y
R3      -       y                       n               n
R4      -       y                       y               y

each class except the R classes is a class of recipients. The R classes are not recipients of the original message, but are intended recipients of replies. the superset column is whether the reply to all recipients
are a superset of reply to author recipients.

I believe this is is a complete set of cases.

say you want to send a message to zero or more of each class of recipients. here's how you'd do it:

NR: