Re: the most obvious failure in To-NoReply

2004-08-31 12:51:53

I don't want _replies_ to go to ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org(_dot_) I want
_followups_
to go to ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org(_dot_)

"followup" is a Usenet term.  Usenet has two different kinds of
addresses - email addresses and newsgroups.

But mail also has two different kinds of addresses or, to put it another
way, mailing lists certainly need two kinds of addresses:

1. From: To: Cc: Bcc: etc.
2. List-Post: Mail-Followup-To: (which not all lists, including this one,
provide :-( )

Having lists mung mail-followup-to is every bit as bad as having lists mung reply-to. actually it's worse, since one of the arguments in favor of mail-followup-to is that it hasn't been corrupted like reply-to has.

MUAs then need some form of command for "Reply-To-List", and the obvious
name for that command is "Followup" (or the single letter 'F').

No, it's not obvious. Even though you can gateway mail into news and vice versa, in practice the differences between the two environments affect how people interact with those environments. A followup is not the same thing as reply-to-list (using list-post) or even reply-to-all. If email had a way to distinguish list addresses from personal addresses, something analogous to followup might be "reply to just the lists". but even then it would still be different.

In Usenet there is an implicit assumption that everyone participating in a conversation has access to at least one of the newsgroups involved. That, and participants can be subscribed to a usenet newsgroup without filling up their inboxes with cruft.

in email it is much less reasonable to assume that everyone in a conversation can access any mailing list that is copied on the conversation - not all mailing lists are public, and people are less likely to be willing to subscribe to an email list than to a usenet newsgroup.

Also, usenet articles automagically expire after a time, whereas emails typically have to be deleted explicitly, and this also affects how people interact with each medium.

And responses to mailing lists should be followups too.

 Email
does not have visibly different kinds of addresses and does make a
distinction between replies and followups.

And that is exactly the root of the problem, which needs to be fixed.

somehow I don't view the fact that email isn't like usenet as "a problem". I'd call it "a feature". email lists certainly are not a perfect discussion medium, but usenet is even less so. the truth is that people find both kinds of discussions useful, and they also find it useful that they operate differently than one another. trying to make them the same is probably a disservice to both.

 Email UAs have "reply" and
"reply to all" or similar. For several reasons including both protocol
differences and cultural differences between email and Usenet, email's
"reply to all" and Usenet's "followup" are not quite the same thing.
And I don't see evidence of any desire among users to make email more
like Usenet. (actually I see plenty of evidence to the contrary. but I
digress.)

On the contrary, in the case of mailing lists I see evidence of this
desire all the time. It is just not clear whether the "proper" way to
respond to a mailing list is "Reply" or "Reply-To-All", since both of them
usually do the Wrong Thing

you and the author of the subject message may not agree on the Right Thing.

Personally, I find it extremely annoying to receive personal replies to
messages I post to a mailing list to which I am already subscribed.

Personally, I find it extremely valuable to receive personal replies to messages I post to a mailing list to which I am already subscribed. I find it annoying when recipients remove me from the recipient list of replies. Personal replies are handled with a different priority than ordinary list mail. I like having personal replies end up in my inbox, and also having a complete set of messages to the list end up in my folder for that list. I also like being able to continue conversations between list participants quickly even when the list is slow to forward messages.

Keith