the most obvious failure in To-NoReply

2004-08-29 13:51:39

Keith Moore writes:
NR has no way to specify situations where "reply to all" is not sent
to a superset of the recipients who would be sent if "reply to author"
were used instead.

Then NR is broken. When I send a message to ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org, I do
_not_
want followups to be sent to the original reply address. That's why my
message says Mail-Followup-To: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org(_dot_)

(The Mail-Followup-To is inserted automatically, of course. The only
manual effort was a long time ago, putting ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org into
$HOME/.lists and setting QMAILMFTFILE to $HOME/.lists.)

as far as I can tell, this is a plus for NR.

Then you are fundamentally confused about what mail users want to do.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago