Re: Last Call: 'The APPLICATION/MBOX Media-Type' to Proposed Standard

2004-08-30 11:50:28

Charles Lindsey writes:
Which is why the application/mbox type needs parameters so that this
information can be given

Shall we next add parameters to the Date header field?

   Date; endianness=big: 30 Aug 2004 18:34:40 -0000
   Date; endianness=pdp: 30 Aug 0402 40:34:18 -0000
   Date; endianness=corrupted: 30 Aug 04 18 -00

Supporting mbox formats that lose information is like supporting dates
with the endianness=corrupted parameter.

I'd rather see an application/mboxrd with a careful specification of the
(working!) mboxrd syntax. Anyone who desperately wants to support
Content-Length can do it on the sending end, converting to mboxrd,
rather than demanding that every reader support Content-Length.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago