Re: Last Call: 'The APPLICATION/MBOX Media-Type' to Proposed Standard

2004-08-30 15:10:14

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 11:40:17, Nathaniel Borenstein
<nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hmm, now I'm really confused.  If you're about to transmit a set of
messages, and what you have is an mbox file whose format you think you
understand, why don't you package it up as a proper MIME multipart
before transmitting???  -- Nathaniel

It seems to me that there is one piece of information that most mbox formats
have that does not have a corresponding place in message/rfc822, and that is the
date that the message was appended to the mbox. This field is used in many MUAs
to order the display in the inbox absent any threading or other sort option. It
is not quite the same as adding a Received: field just after the Return-Path:
that would contain the From_ address.

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>