Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-moore-mail-nr-fields-00.txt]

2004-09-08 05:27:00

Please bear in mind that the average user isn't going to have the slightest clue how to choose from among all these reply functions. (And consider the various potential types of "reply" when an MUA allows a user to select multiple messages at once and then choose a "reply" command.) If an MUA must provide lots of reply types, it should at least check to see which kinds of reply yield identical results for the message(s) in question, and only offer one of any set of N types of replies that are functionally equivalent. But I'd advocate a much simpler default interface for non-geek users.

Most users don't have a very complex mental model about this stuff. Back on the Andrew project, in the days when our users were dodging dinosaurs, we managed to rationalize our way to three different reply commands:

        Reply to Sender
        Reply to All
        Reply to Both

Users were understandably confused as to what the latter meant, and it only seemed to make sense to us at the time because we were totally geeky about what these commands meant.

At this point, I hypothesize that two kinds of reply -- roughly "the sender" and "everyone" -- is about as sophisticated a distinction as it is reasonable to inflict on the average user. It should, however, be possible to define standard semantics for those two kinds of reply. -- Nathaniel