Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-09-08 19:17:25

Eric A. Hall writes:
One thing I've noodled on is a "reply-to-list" option

Why? Do you think the user often wants to say ``I'd like my response to
be visible to everyone who read the original message---but not the
sender if he's a non-subscriber to this list, and not the subscribers of
other lists if this message was crossposted''?

Sure, there are _occasions_ when I decide to omit some recipients from
my followup, but the situations where I _don't_ want to do that are much
more common.

Even for single-list messages, I can't see whether ``reply to list'' is
doing what I want unless I have extra information from the sender---
information that can't be communicated through List-Post (because it's
envelope information added by list managers) but that is communicated
successfully through Mail-Followup-To.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago