Re: 2 MIME questions re: message/rfc822

2004-11-04 21:40:11

Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:

This may seem like splitting hairs, because I agree that the sender caused the initial problem, but are you saying that because the message/rfc822 object was incorrectly formatted (because of the inclusion of the From line), the downstream software was justified in throwing that offending line away? I'm skeptical because it doesn't actually make anything better, and it seems to me that "correcting" the contents is far more likely to cause harm than good. -- Nathaniel

When you step outside the bounds of defined behavior, what's the right thing to do?

Postel's Maxim is a two edged sword. Yes, the mailing list server should accept the message. But if it cares about sending out correct email, it's facing a dilemna. What should it do?

Obviously, the programmer in this situation must make some choices. S/he could do nothing, or s/he could fix up the message somehow. And if s/he chooses to fix up the message, what's the right fix? Certainly, all of those choices are justifiable.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com