Re: Experiment #2 with multiple Reference headers (was References with multipl

2005-01-17 04:43:12

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Philip Hazel wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Keith Moore wrote:

OTOH, "header line" seems ambiguous to me - I think you must mean something
_besides_ header field because you're not using either "header field" or the
common abbreviation "header".  :)

With respect, you are an "unaverage reader" :-)  I use "header line" in
documentation about Exim (for example), because I strongly suspect that,
to the "average" reader, the word "field" is strange and esoteric when
used in this kind of sense.

There's precedent in RFC 2821 which has a section 3.8.2 Received Lines in
Gatewaying, and refers to lines rather than fields throughout section 4.4
Trace Information. Also, RFC 2822 says that header fields are lines,
albeit with rules for folding them into a multi-line form. See also
section 3.6.3. Destination address fields for some slack editing - line
appears five times where field would be more correct.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
COLWYN BAY TO THE MULL OF GALLOWAY INCLUDING THE ISLE OF MAN: SOUTHWEST 5 OR 6