Re: Experiment #2 with multiple Reference headers (was References with multipl

2005-01-18 17:32:39

On Jan 18 2005, Charles Lindsey wrote:

Yes, but what term do you use when you want to say "This *mumble* is
longer than 998 characters", or "No *mumble* is allowed to consist of
whitespace only"? I will grant you that perhaps "header line" is not the
right term, because it is frequently used as a synonym for "header field"
(aka, in common parlance, "header").

Right, if it was me, I'd probably say "this message line" or "this
text line", both of which are purposely scoped so widely that they
don't evoke a single field. But I'd have to grep my archives for the
string "line" to be sure ;-)

Either way, I believe that Bruce's point about decades of consistent
prior use in RFCs trumps all personal preferences.

--
Laird Breyer.