Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-24 07:06:41

Frank Ellermann wrote:

behavior for mail-to-NetNews gateways should also be specified.

Transparent, "Expires:" can be kept as is (modulo magic SP in news)

my concern here is that (as best I recall) in NetNews, Expires pretty much means the message will get deleted after that date. I haven't looked at netnews in years but I seem to recall that expires used to be used mostly with periodic postings like FAQs that were reissued (and perhaps revised) on a regular basis.

whereas for email we seem to want something different - a hint to the recipient about the relevance of the message. which argues for a different header field name to minimize the potential for confusion.

Keith