Re: Expires: vs. Supersedes:

2008-07-24 09:15:01

Frank Ellermann wrote:
Keith Moore wrote:

behavior for mail-to-NetNews gateways should also be specified.

Transparent, "Expires:" can be kept as is (modulo magic SP in news)
my concern here is that (as best I recall) in NetNews, Expires
pretty much means the message will get deleted after that date.

Yes, that is what *expiration* does, depending on the server and the group. But servers are in now way forced to honour Expires:.
Expires: is only a recommendation roughly matching your proposed
semantics.  Quoting the MISSREF-blocked RFC (section 3.2.5):

 The Expires header field specifies a date and time when the poster
 deems the article to be no longer relevant and could usefully be
 removed ("expired").

yeah, I know. but when widespread practice is to delete expired netnews messages, there's a practical problem with gatewaying mail with an expired header to netnews. (this is exacerbated by the lack of clean separation between message format and transport protocol in netnews.)

not that I care a huge amount.  AFAICS netnews is dead.

Keith