Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-24 07:21:18

Hector Santos wrote:

As you know Ned, expiration that is out of the control of the MUA (user) is already in practice.

That's irrelevant for a discussion of a standard. There are lots of things that are "already in practice" that are irresponsible or completely insane.

Our job is NOT to bless those practices, it is to define practices that are sane.

We can't stop people from implementing things that are irresponsible or insane. But there are things that we can do. We can make it clear that such behavior is a violation of the standard. And in some cases we can design protocols in such a way that such violations are observable, so that the responsible parties can be held accountable by whatever means is available (legal or economic or social).

Keith