Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-28 09:32:29

In <48888705(_dot_)7090407(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> writes:

Frank Ellermann wrote:

behavior for mail-to-NetNews gateways should also be specified.

Transparent, "Expires:" can be kept as is (modulo magic SP in news)

my concern here is that (as best I recall) in NetNews, Expires pretty
much means the message will get deleted after that date.  I haven't
looked at netnews in years but I seem to recall that expires used to be
used mostly with periodic postings like FAQs that were reissued (and
perhaps revised) on a regular basis.

There are in practice two usages in Netnews:

1). Subject: Bid for my widget on ebay, auction has 24 hours to run.

In practice, very few posters insert an Expires header in such cases,
which is a pity/nuisance.

2). This FAQ will be repeated in three months time. I have set the Expires
date for then; please kepp it for at least that long.

99% of Expires headers wou will see on Usenet are of this nature, and they
are usually associated with an intelligent use of the Supersedes header.

The second case appears to have no counterpart in Email, though it might
make some sort of sense with Mailing Lists.

So we are essentially discussing an Email usage of the first sort. Note,
however, that Keith's definition (regarding the Sender's intent) actually
makes good sense for both usages.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.