Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-30 08:28:13

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 21:49 -0400, Hector Santos wrote:
Michael Welzl wrote:

    The Expires header indicates a date-time, at which this
    message expires. The field can be used both to limit and to
    extend the life of a message. User agents and servers which
    employ automatic purging of old messages MAY let this field
    influence the purging process. There is no requirement that a
    user agent must suppress expired messages or make them
    inaccessible to their owners.

Let's analyze the paragraph:

* sentence 1 is fine with me.

* sentence 2, "can be used both to limit and to extend" seems
  confusing and strange to me.

Not sure why that is odd to you.

If you have accepted the reality that backends already expire messages
regardless of flags or user permission, the question is how would this

I changed my mind yesterday about sentence 1: it waters
the other statement that I want to have in there, about
only doing this when it's explicitly allowed by the user.

So, regarding "acceptance of this reality", sure I accept
that such things happen, but this is not what we design for.

Cheers,
Michael