Re: [ietf-822] WSJ/gmail/ML, was a permission to...

2014-05-04 17:47:03

Bart Schaefer <barton(_dot_)schaefer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > Then the problem boils down to impersonating both an individual sender
    > and a list to which he is supposedly subscribed.   If a List-ID is
    > present and the list exploder has re-DKIM-signed the message, a DMARC
    > check that the message really did come through the list exploder should
    > be enough?

Spammers started using mailing archives to find out *EXACTLY* this, in order
to forge From: lines that would get into mailing list filters.  I first saw
this a few years ago.  I'm not sure why it hasn't become a bigger problem.

DMARC processing on input to mailing lists certainly would help there.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [