Re: [Asrg] Spam detection system proposal

2003-03-05 10:10:07
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Keith Moore wrote:

I don't think there's a simple answer.

Of course not.  I don't think there's any answer at all, if by
"answer" we mean something automatic that stops almost all spam with
almost no bad side effects.

 I think we need a combination of

- a way to find out whether a message is sent by someone who has
  a history of spamming, a history of not spamming, or no history

That would be nice.  I have no idea how to do this.  As you said,
it's easy to change sender address, Web address, etc.  How do you
know who to attach the history to?

[...]

- a way for recipients to indicate that mail meeting certain criteria
  that they specify should not be sent to them (because it will get
  bounced or discarded anyway)

But this requires cooperation from the sender, or else a level of AI
to analyze messages that I think is simply impossible.  It's safe to
assume that spammers will go out of their way to be uncooperative.  I
think schemes that can detect this kind of wilful lack of cooperation
are good candidates for partial solutions.

--
David.