Re: [Asrg] Spam detection system proposal

2003-03-05 09:58:33
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Chris Lewis wrote:

Sorry, wrong.  All bad address removal requires is spamware that
understands SMTP error codes.  No reverse channel of any kind required.

Unless your recipient is running MS Exchange:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304897

or happens to have a Yahoo or AOL account (Yahoo and AOL do not fail
bad addresses at RCPT time.)  I'd imagine this would cover a large
class of spam victims.

My additional proposal (for making the remaining good addresses on
a spam list suspect) will handle the case of more intelligent spamware.

You can't clean your list unless you can receive bounces,

Wrong as per above.

See URL.

Most spammers don't care about rejects.  They really don't.

Good!  Then they won't bother cleaning their lists, and my scheme will work.

Hell, even some legitimate emailers don't notice rejects and never clean
bogus addresses.

Then this punishes them too -- good.

--
David.