Re: [Asrg] Spam detection system proposal

2003-03-05 10:10:46
 I think we need a combination of

- a way to find out whether a message is sent by someone who has
  a history of spamming, a history of not spamming, or no history

That would be nice.  I have no idea how to do this.  As you said,
it's easy to change sender address, Web address, etc.  How do you
know who to attach the history to?

sigh.   I really think we need to be talking more in generalities at
this point, rather than reviewing detailed proposals.  and since the
details are important, I don't think this can be evaluated without
supplying the details.

also, I think we need to get to the point that we can look at the
variety of ideas and brainstorm about how to combine them effectively,
and we can't do that as long as people are trying to champion their
proposals.  (I suppose shooting them down doesn't help either, though.)

- a way for recipients to indicate that mail meeting certain
criteria
  that they specify should not be sent to them (because it will get
  bounced or discarded anyway)

But this requires cooperation from the sender,

no it just requires cooperation from upstream mail servers.  ISPs don't
want to pay for bandwidth or server cycles that won't be used.  if they
can find out that lots of recipients don't want from big(_at_)boss(_dot_)com,
(or some other criteria, this is just a handy example)
they probably won't mind not delivering that mail to those recipients.

Keith