Re: [Asrg] Spam detection system proposal

2003-03-05 10:12:16
David F. Skoll wrote:
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Chris Lewis wrote:

We can already see the spammers doing this.  My autobitch bot routinely
shows me specific spams that have been sent from several hundred or even
a thousand different IPs in one day.  And this is the viewpoint from
just _one_ MTA...

I see that ocasionally also (not several hundred, though!).
Nevertheless, I think my scheme is worth doing.  Anything that forces
a certain kind of behavior on spammers is good.  If they're forced to
use open relays and proxies to send spam to avoid being marked as a
person with a bad list, then it makes RBL's that blacklist open
relays, proxies, and dial-up blocks more valuable.

We need a broad-spectrum multi-faceted approach.

I agree. When presented in that manner as being part of an overall technique, it's worth a try. But I don't have my hopes up, except in the case of static spammers (eg: Marin/Lauderdale.net) which you should blackhole via SBL or local blacklist anyway.

However, do realize that open relays/proxies/socks/dialup-block RBLs have difficulties of their own. Perhaps the most important being that the first three generally lag closure by quite a bit, and are thus subject to problems about staleness of information.

I raise the latter, not because it's necessarily a show stopper (it isn't for us), but the factor _is_ there.