Re: [Asrg] Deprecating plain POP accounts

2003-03-05 12:38:34
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:37:03PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

  If getting rid of the "random SMTP sender" problem means that the
roaming user is required to use a home server, then that's fine.  It
stops the spammer, and has little cost to the roaming user.

no, it doesn't stop the spammer.  it just makes life harder for
legitimate users.

Could you elaborate this? I don't see how this should make
life harder. In my experience, it makes legitimate users's life much
easier and cheaper.

you're not authenticating him in any event. source IP addresses are not
authentication.  and domains have nothing to do with IP addresses.

Currently domain have nothing to do with IP addresses.
Currently we have a severe spam problem.
Maybe it's not so wise to insist on keeping the current status quo.

only because you haven't thought it through.  many spammers use
throwaway accounts anyway.  the fact that they are using their ISP's
SMTP server to relay spam doesn't keep them from spamming.

Again, could you elaborate?

If they had to use their ISP's SMTP server, this server will stop them
using wrong domains. That's the first step to stop spam.

Hadmut