Re: [Asrg] Deprecating plain POP accounts

2003-03-05 15:25:49
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 04:21:56PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

there are legitimate needs to be able to send SMTP from random
places on the Internet, even from dialup lines.

Maybe it would be easier to follow you if you gave
an example.

Imagine a mobile network, say one that is used in emergency situations.
It gets its internet connectivity via whatever means is available in
whatever location it finds itself - which might be WLAN, WMAN, dialup,
cell phone, satellite, whatever.   This might change from one hour to
the next.  The network has several dozen hosts, mostly laptops. It has
its own mail and DNS servers.  It's not acceptable to have to
reconfigure the hosts in this network every time its means
of connectivity changes.

Currently domain have nothing to do with IP addresses.
Currently we have a severe spam problem.
Maybe it's not so wise to insist on keeping the current status
quo.

that's like Mr. Bush's logic:
no matter what the source of the problem is, bomb Iraq.

I didn't ask to bomb. I asked to question whether the
given statement could be held. So I asked to start thinking,
not bombing.

clearly something about the status quo needs to change.  it would be
very unfortunate if we compromised transparency, or the ability to send
anonymous mail, for the sake of spam.

But people don't need to be able to originate mail from any
domain they want. They need to be limited to the domains they're
authorized to use (by the domain owner).

I don't disagree in principle.  But we're a long way away from having a
mechanism that would allow recipients to verify whether the sender has
the "right to use" the domain.  The protocols are the easy part; what's
hard is that this requires upgrading essentially every piece of mail
software in existence, as well as a fair amount of infrastructure
(espeically if you want to avoid various kinds of DoS attacks).

Keith