Re: [Asrg] Deprecating plain POP accounts

2003-03-05 12:00:27
driving 200 miles per hour causes problems.  submitting mail from
random places on the net does not.

  I disagree completely, and I won't argue about it.  SPAM is a DDoS
attack, originating from SMTP senders with random IP's.

legitimate mail originates from random IPs also.

  If getting rid of the "random SMTP sender" problem means that the
roaming user is required to use a home server, then that's fine.  It
stops the spammer, and has little cost to the roaming user.

no, it doesn't stop the spammer.  it just makes life harder for
legitimate users.

just because spam is bad doesn't mean it's a good idea to impose any
random and useless barrier on ordinary people's ability to send mail
that someone comes up with.

you have it backwards.  authenticated smtp is a clean solution;
tying identity to network location is a hack.

  Hmm.. I don't think I wanted to tie identity to network location.

that's just what happens when you try to make IP addresses significant.

  If a user from your domain is roaming, and wants to send email, I
don't see why it's *my* problem to authenticate him.

you're not authenticating him in any event. source IP addresses are not
authentication.  and domains have nothing to do with IP addresses.

  Then that looks like a pretty good solution to 99.9% of the spam
problem.

only because you haven't thought it through.  many spammers use
throwaway accounts anyway.  the fact that they are using their ISP's
SMTP server to relay spam doesn't keep them from spamming.

Keith