Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-07 10:43:53

In
 https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg00753.html
Keith Moore writes:

  > Requiring senders to pay would make them accountable.

 *not unless you could somehow vary the cost according to how annoying the
 *message is.  if the cost per message is the same no matter who sends it or
 *what the message says, there's no cost I could set which is high enough to
 *deter spammers and low enough to not deter people I want to receive mail from.
 *Keith

Agreed. Thus, there has to be a scheme that would allow people to send
wanted mail at zero cost and at some non-zero cost for unwanted mail.
A receiver, as busy as Keith, say, could insist validly that cost to
sender of unwanted mail be high but ensure that wanted mail senders
bear zero cost. I believe such a scheme is doable if we thought of
liability rather than cost.

cheers,
bala

Balachander Krishnamurthy