RE: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-07 10:24:47
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On
Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 9:44 AM

- should not prevent delivery of legitimate mail
- should not adversely impact valuable functionality

Let me observe that there is no agreement (yet) on the
definition of legitimate mail, nor on the definition of
valuable functionality.  But at least "valuable functionality"
is a better choice than "all existing functionality."

- should not depend on universal deployment to be effective

This is highly desirable, but not a rigid requirement.  If
there are no solutions that reach the desirable level of
effectiveness without universal deployment, then a solution
that requires it should be considered.

Also, "depend on universal deployment" is vague.  If I
choose to adopt an email solution that requires senders to
me to use a particular new technology in order to reach me,
is that a dependency on universal deployment?

Gary