Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-06 22:54:12
Alan DeKok wrote:
"Chris Lewis" <clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com> wrote:

Kee Hinckley wrote:

I have to say that your stats certainly are up there. Have you looked at the incoming email at all?

We have.

  I do owe Chris a big thanks for helping me analyze the spam traffic
to my domain.  I simply didn't have the resources to do it on my own.

Y're welcome.

Now that the filters are
written, they don't help me, because my spam load has increased by 2-3
orders of magnitude.

Alan, you simply have to recognize that _nothing_ anyone can come up with of a technical nature can help your situation short of everyone abandoning SMTP. You're MANY standard deviations away from the mean. A pathological worst case.

The value that your experience has lies in a different direction - the signpost for where we're all going if we cannot build solutions effective enough to severely discourage spammers before we all look like striker. An early warning for what the death of SMTP email will look like if we can't get a handle on it _now_.

So, listen up people - striker is where we're all headed. Technical solutions that either discourage spammers enough to cause a general reduction in volumes, or bandaid solutions that help us survive until legislative/social solutions finally kick in are what we need. 20% solutions are nice. But short term.