Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-06 20:36:59
"Chris Lewis" <clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com> wrote:
Kee Hinckley wrote:

I have to say that your stats certainly are up there.  Have you looked
at the incoming email at all?

We have.

  I do owe Chris a big thanks for helping me analyze the spam traffic
to my domain.  I simply didn't have the resources to do it on my own.

  Chris gave a talk at a local Unix group 8+ years ago about spam.
People had a hard time believing his numbers then.  Three years ago,
nearly everyone I talked to refused to believe me, when I told them
about the volume of spam sent to my domain.  I couldn't use filters,
because most of them weren't written then.  Now that the filters are
written, they don't help me, because my spam load has increased by 2-3
orders of magnitude.

  This is the problem I'm worried about.  Some ad-hoc and naive
solutions may work, if you're not receiving appreciable amounts of
spam.  They may even work if you have money to throw at the problem.
But they don't scale.  They're not permanent solutions.  And until we
have a clear description/understanding of the problem, it's a waste of
time to talk about specific solutions.

  Alan DeKok.