Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-06 09:59:35
Kee Hinckley wrote:

I have to say that your stats certainly are up there. Have you looked at the incoming email at all?

We have. As a rough description, the vast majority of it is spam of various types coming from approximately 6000 unique IPs (a day's worth of metrics) going to thousands of different email addresses, highly variable numbers of spam per IP. There are some indications that it's only a few people behind it all, but not definitive.

[There is some spam blowback (spam sent to others with a forged From: in Alan's domain).]

The only significant difference between Alan's spam load and ours is that for the same number of spams, we see approximately twice as many unique source IPs as it does.

This is not a single wild bot. It's spam load _is_ pretty representative of the crap being sent.