Re: [Asrg] requirements for a proposed solution + notion of consent

2003-03-07 10:43:58
On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 10:37:56 -0500
Balachander Krishnamurthy <bala(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:

keith moore suggests the following criteria for potential solutions in

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg00726.html

- should minimize spam to some acceptable level (say, 0.1% of received
messages)- should not prevent delivery of legitimate mail
- should not adversely impact valuable functionality
- should be easy to use (even for grandma)
- should be easy to deploy, incrementally
- should not depend on universal deployment to be effective
- should provide incentives to deploy for those doing the deployment

all of the above are laudable goals. i would like to add a few more

- senders and receivers of wanted (i prefer the term wanted over
"legitimate") mail should not have to pay additional monetary costs

I agree, but I'd say this differently - I'd say we don't want to raise the
burden of sending email (for the purpose of deterring spam) so high that it
deters  people from sending mail we want to receive.  this applies to monetary
costs, having to reply to confirmation messages, having to get prior
authorization, whatever.

- no new protocol should be required to implement such solutions (maybe this
is covered in 'easy to deploy')

I think it's premature to say that.  Replacing the existing mail system would
probably be too onerous.  But some new protocol, somewhere, might be required.
This would not bother me if it could be incrementally deployed, if there were
natural incentives to deploy it, etc.

- there should be no additional impact on privacy of participants as a
result of such solutions

a laudable goal, I think.

Keith